Skip to main content

NY Upward Modification of Child Support - Got any tips for do-it-yourself legal representation?

Buffalo, NY |

I am reaching out in hopes others can tell me what critical lessons they learned from surviving family court litigation for "upwards modification" of support orders in high income cases. Looking to glean your wisdom, experience, and any sample/protype documents or verbage. Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unfortunately, this is not a "survivor's forum" for general exchange of tips and strategies and there are better sites for that. You should consult with a family law attorney who can give you all the tips and stratgies for the litigation in one meeting, explaining to him you need advice, and don't want representation.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


I believe you already posed this question and received answers. Please review them.


No. Just as I cannot perform open heart surgery on myself so you cannot go to a court and do it yourself. Court is not an intuitive thing and court is not a box with buttons you push in the correct sequence. There are as many variations to a case as there are facts in a case. Facts (the input) all intertwine with the "law" (the function) to produce output. There is no "tip" as to how to optimize your output.

I am also quite surprised you ask about "high income cases" but you appear to want to save money on a lawyer in a child support case. That's like wanting to save money on a transmission fluid change that leads to a far more expensive transmission repair and car replacement. The few thousand dollars you save now on your support case can translate into hundreds of thousands of dollars in overpaid support which can never be refunded to you. It befuddles me as to what you are doing.

I do wish you the best of luck. Remember that in today's America, you cannot have a child (UCCJEA, CAPTA, ASFA, CSSA ... ) without also having a family lawyer.



We were unmarried. Qhen I left for safety reasons, we took nothing with us. I am unemployed and not a high net worth individual. Everything came from him, he owned everything: cars, house, etc. I helped him run business



...anyways, I have literally nothing. He has cut off her child support. So, believe it or not there are high net worth cases where a mouse goes up against goliath. And no one is willing to represent me and my daughter on contingency or pro bono. What happens when mom has no money? How is justice served?



Do you want to represent someone on a contingency basis?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer