Skip to main content

NY- Former Will v Present Will: As Executor, do I have legal recourse against testator's former attorney?

Brewster, NY |

Testator made me executor in both 1998, 2010 Wills. Only difference in Wills is new Will she disinherited her spouse for abandonment, mental cruelty, domestic violence, etc. 2011 she sustained major injuries in car accident. Spouse refused to care for her, pay nurses, meds (he has $$$, didn't want to) He also continued to abuse her while she was bedbound & dying. Called her lawyer few times to inform him what happened, to find out about her legal docs. He told me that she had gone to see him re spousal beatings, abuse, etc. Later, found new Will by diff atty. Called fmr attny, told him about new Will, spousal disinheritance. Atty said he wouldn't speak w/spouse, he's not executor. BUT! later spouse paid atty,got copy fmr Will. He's suing family, me (atty fees, suit $$$$)says new Will fraud

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I agree with the prior answer that you should consult a local attorney experienced in estates. However, I feel the prior answer is overly restrictive regarding potential claims against the former attorney. While it isn't clear from your question as to whether you would have a good claim against the former attorney, an executor can bring claims against a decedent's former attorney under certain circumstances. Lawrence Friedman, lawyer, Master of Laws in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of law and Member Board of Consultors of New Jersey State Bar Association Real Estate, Trusts & Estates Law Section;


You are attempting to summarize a complex fact situation and I some facts are unclear to me. If I understand correctly, you are the executor, you offered the last Will into probate, and the spouse who was disinherited is contesting the Will. Such cases are very fact dependent. You need an attorney who is familiar with Surrogate's practice in the county where the Will was offered for probate, and who knows how to litigate. If you don't already have a lawyer, our firm handles such matters all the time. I don't quite understand your issue with the testator's former attorney. I can only tell you that the potential liability of an attorney for bungling a Will is very limited.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Steven J. Fromm

Steven J. Fromm


Hey Joseph: I recommended below that the poster gives you a call. However, not sure if your office is close to the poster. Best regards Steve


Mr Brophy offers sound advice. You need to retain an estate litigation attorney immediately. Not really sure what the former attorney did that was wrong based on your facts. And, the husband's allegation of fraud would not seem valid if he was abusing her. Get an estates litigation attorney now. Do this today.
You may be well served to talk with Mr. Brophy as he is an exeperienced and knowledgeable NY estates attorney.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336, his email address is , for more tax, estate and business articles visit his website and blog

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer