NY , I'm 40 years old. Recently I got arrested for shoplifting 90$, got DAT and was released from police precinct with date to a

Staten Island, NY |

I'm 40 years old. Recently I got arrested for shoplifting 90$, got DAT and was released from police precinct with date to appear at court, but 6 years ago was arrested first time for shoplifting, case was mediated at Community Dispute resolution Center without appearance at court, I paid fees, case was sealed, what to expect now, jail time, or it can be mediated at Community Dispute resolution Center, do i need a criminal lawyer, penalty?

It is possible that you may still be able to get an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD), but the chances are higher if you retain a New York criminal defense attorney. Good luck!

It would be very wise for you to obtain a criminal defense attorney given that there is some past history. It that was sealed it should not show up, however, you have a better at an ACD with an attorney.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632. www.nyccriminallawyer.com

Staten Island is harder on these cases than the other Counties of NYC. I suggest you hire a good criminal defense lawyer. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Feel free to check out my web site.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Best to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer to represent you. Look for find lawyer tab on AVVO.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

I have handled these cases for 30 years and you will need an experienced lawyer who can try to get an ACD dismissal or Disorderly Conduct violation with a few days of community service to avoid a criminal conviction. The fee would be very reasonable as it is likely only two appearances. Check out my Avvo rating and reviews and my website for more information.
John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363