Skip to main content

Numbness in thumb from cuffs.

Jupiter, FL |

After arrest, I tried to hurt myself so they cuffed me for about 3 hours behind back (I fully understand the safety reasoning). After a couple hours I had to pee and couldn't feel my hands. Requests to urinate and/or loosen the cuffs were met with, as the kids say, "STFU." It's been 4 days and I haven't regained feeling in my right thumb. I also have a sizeable bruise on my left rib cage. As I said, I realize the safety precaution being taken, but have I any legal recourse for the potential nerve damage? Also, in your professional opinions and experience, for how long should one experience numbness??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You may want to consult a personal injury attorney though you would have to prove that the force used to detain you was excessive given your resistance.

Your question about numbness should be posted on the medical board.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


I think it is a little early to determine if you have a case - you would need to seek medical attention for your numbness. You would not only have to establish that the police acted unreasonably under the circumstances, but that you sustained an ongoing injury or at one which required medical treatment.

Good luck.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Consult with a physician regarding the nerve symptoms. Then follow up with a personal injury attorney for a review of your potential case. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


You should get an appointment with a doctor to evaluate your thumb.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Consult with atty who handles excessive force and civil rights cases asap. there may be short time reqts in your state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer