Skip to main content

Number of shares in s-corp

Darien, CT |

Hi, I am trying to determine how many shares can I issue for my s-corp in CT. The articles of organization to be filed with the state don't specify anything or ask for that information. Can I make up a number? a hundred, a thousand or a million?

+ Read More

Filed under: Incorporation
Attorney answers 3


I do not practice in CT. However, 100 or 200 are standard initial numbers. Best,

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


The minimum franchise fee to the state, $150, allows you to issue up to 20,000 shares. If you want to go beyond that, you can pay more. You are limited in the number of shareholders you can have in an S-Corp, so 20,000 hould be more than enough. Typically a lot fewer are going to be issued.


I typically advise 100 shares to begin with, unless there are some particular reasons to come up with a different number

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer