Skip to main content

Now married to American but came in on tourist visa.

Glastonbury, CT |

I am applying for adjust status on I-485 and was told by US Citizenship and Immigration that I can apply. I have all my documents but they will not tell me which of part 2 question to pick as basis of eligibility.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is not the job of USCIS to answer legal questions. In fact, they cannot answer these types of questions. If you do not know how to do something or how to answer questions, it is time to hire an attorney.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.



I just need to tick a box and then at my hearing give my details !


That's because USCIS is not your "friendly" legal adviser. They are your "judge", so they don't owe you legal advice. For that you go to a good immigration attorney. Applying for a green card is a complicated, detail-oriented process, with a few minefields, and you will have many many more questions along the way. I recommend you at least consult an attorney before you file.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.



Can I fill in h and explain Dana, as I am very strapped for cash to hire lawer


Generally someone who marries a US citizen is eligible as c (9) category. However the paperwork required for a green card is lengthy and complex so I highly recommend consulting an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you sir, can I write that as explain on

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer