Skip to main content

Now, that I have a baby with my ex-girlfriend but my mother and her doesn't get along.

Chicago, IL |

Well, since I signed the birthday certificate that I am the father do I have any rights to take my baby to my brother without the mother? Because she doesn't want to without her being there, but like I said I am the father so that must be okay right?

I mean to my mother without the baby's mother.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Yes of course you have rights. You should go to court to have a custody and visitation order entered to define what your rights are. When you have your child with you the mother cannot tell you where you may go or who you may visit unless there is a court order forbidding your baby from being around certain people.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


No, that' snot okay. Your rights regarding your child will be defined by court order. Want to be involved in decisions affecting your child; like healthcare, school, etc.? Hire a lawyer and go to court.

Want visitation? Hire a lawyer and go to court.

Want to spend time with the child over Thanksgiving or Christmas? Hire a lawyer and go to court.

By signing the VAP (the form for the Birth Certificate) you make it easy for the State to collect child support from you. That form, however, does NOTHING for you int eh way of custody nor visitation.

Call a lawyer.


Just signing the birth certificate alone is not enough. You need to file a paternity action to have custody and visitation established. You will need an attorney to assist you with this.

This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the question. This comment does NOT create an attorney - client relationship. An attorney should be contact directly and given the full details of the specific circumstances in order to be best able to assist in the issues at hand.