Skip to main content

Not Guilty on Trafficking Cocaine

Wilson, NC |

August 5, 2010 the Wilson, NC Police Department forcefully entered my home with a search warrant. They charged me with Trafficking Cocaine by Possession. March 5, 2013 I was found not guilty. The State DEA seized my car in February 2011 and sold my car in June 2011. The WPD damaged my house door with a battering ram. My bond was revoked March 4, 2013. The officer that signed the search warrant admitted in open court that no drugs were ever purchased from my home nor was I ever seen delivering or selling drugs. I want to bring a civil suit against the WPD and the City of Wilson NC.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


1. Strongly recommend you contact Avvo and ask them to remove your personal information.
2. This is not a good help wanted site, its question and answer.
3. Call your state bar association and request referral to a civil rights attorney.

FWIW, you are likely past the small window if opportunity to bring a claim too.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


Flagged for personal information.


There is obviously a much more complicated set of facts behind this brief summary of your story. No lawyer could tell you just from the summary whether you have a good claim. I agree completely that if you want to pursue this, you need to contact a NC lawyer immediately. (And the "Find a Lawyer" section of AVVO will likely help you more than this question-and-answer section.)

One point: Federal civil rights claims under 42 USC sec. 1983 are governed by local state statute of limitations. Where I am licensed and principally practice, MD and DC, the statute of limitations that applies is 3 years. I am not licensed in NC and so can't offer any opinion on NC law. I do note, however, that the NC statute of limitations for personal injury actions is 3 years. Just possibly that is the statute that would apply to a federal civil rights claim in your case. So I don't assume that you're already hopelessly too late. But you do need to talk right away with a NC lawyer.


As Mr. Rafter notes, you should remove your personal info. No lawyer can appraise your case based on this amount of info. Contact a civil rights lawyer in your area to see if you have grounds to sue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer