Skip to main content

Non profit

Long Island City, NY |

I am a member of a motorcycle club. We do not do any business activities and do not sell anything. Our members pay monthly membership dues to the club, which we use to purchase supplies when we have a function. We participate in motorcycle rides with other clubs to raise donations for charities, such as a toy run, or when a member or member's family has an accident or need. We are completely not for profit. We want to rent a commercial property that is zoned "Commercial B2", which according to the zoning ordinance is allowed to be occupied by a "club" under instituional uses. We meet all criteria in the zoning ordinace definition of a club. The purpose of the commercial property will be to have a weekly club meeting and for motorcycle gatherings.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are many attorneys that can assist you in formally organizing your club as a 501(c)(3) non-profit org.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.


You may also want to consider 501(c)(4) status as a not for profit with lesser restrictions than those required for (c)(3). Easier to file tax return etc.


So you should rent the property. It is not clear to me what the question is? Is the owner requiring you set up a corporation? Do you need to get an exemption? If you need to set up an entity you can incorporate and then seek an exemption under 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue Code - this is for social clubs and it sounds like you would easily qualify.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer