Skip to main content

Non custodial parent wants custody, looking for attorney.

Hillsboro, OH |

I've had custody of my child for 10 yrs and the other parent now wants custody. The other parent has always made poor decisions and only recently come back into the child's life. My daughter is 14 and I know that she can only voice her opinion in court but the court goes by he best interest of child, what are the odds of a judge even changing custody? The other parent has DV charges, had back child support that I wiped away in court, barely even sees our daughter when there is a shared parenting plan in place now. This is just recent.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It either you have Shared Parenting Agreement or Sole Custody. In either case in order for the other parent to change custody he/she must show the change in circumstances - not his/her own but child's. The child's voice will definitely be considered since she is fourteen. Unless you have some issues, it is very unlikely that the current arrangement will be changed.

Irina Vinogradsky 216-292-6655



The only change is that we are moving to a different county still in Ohio.

Irina Alexander Vinogradsky

Irina Alexander Vinogradsky


it would not count if everything else is the same


You need to speak with an attorney immediately. Domestic relations actions especially custody are governed by fact specific situations. Without knowing what all has occurred since the last change in the parenting plan, I am unable to tell you whether or not you qualify for a modification.

Chase Carter
6 West Main
Chillicothe Ohio
740 634 3110

Answers given by Chase R. Carter, partner at Carter and George LLC do not constitute legal advice. Answers given do not constitute legal advice and any person having a legal question should contact counsel immediately. Mr. Carter is a private attorney that is available for hire after first consulting with Mr. Carter and negotiating a fee arrangement and signing an engagement letter. Mr. Carter is able to be contacted by visiting his firm's website at or calling 740 634 3110. No legal relationship and/or legal representation is established by answering questions on Avvo. Answers given are for purely educational purpose. No information given is protected by attorney client privilege and any person asking such questions is strongly encouraged to contact legal counsel before pursuing any legal matter.


Two attorneys have given you advice. You need find an attorney to explore modification. There are many attorneys close to your area that you can find on this site.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer