Skip to main content

Non custodial parent refuses to communicate regarding anything

Central Islip, NY |

his family is spanking our child and he refuses to address it with me. he refuses to take our child to extra curricular activities on his saturdays. he refuses telephone calls to our son from me and when he does call back he limits the phone call to one minute and its on speaker for everyone to hear. he threatens me with the police and has called the police in front of our child which was very detrimental. his familiy is very confrontational with me in front of our child. is there anything a court will do in ny to limit the time spent with him or perhaps ask him to cooperate and communicate

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You can seek a modification of the visitation by filing either a petition or Order to Show Cause seeking modification with the family court.

The Kepanis Law Firm, P.C. can be reached at (888)926-8066 during regular business hours or at at any time. This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


You can petition the court for a modification of custody. You should contact a local child custody attorney to discuss this matter further. Your attorney can then take the necessary steps to filing a petition for modification of custody and present the necessary evidence to the court.

Good Luck!

Ms. Riley may be reached at 347-501-8042 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Riley's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Riley is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


No. A court is not a behavior modification service was wayward parents. If the opposing parent didn't grow up, the court will do nothing to mature him.

Good luck.


If you file a petition, the court can modify the order to prohibit certain behavior but enforcing it may be impossible.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>


No court can change a person's outlook or behavior. That said, his behaviors, if properly documented, can be the basis for a Petition to modify custody and/or visitation. A qualified family law attorney in your area can assist you in doing so.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer