Skip to main content

Non custodial parent moving out of state, does the original parenting plan still remain valid?

Spokane, WA |

We live in WA. I have custody of the children, 12 & 15. Their father is moving out of state. We don't always get along. He wants to sit down and agree upon a plan, but I am uncomfortable. Additionally, what rights do my kids have? The oldest has expressed a desire to not spend all free time with their dad. Does my original parenting plan need to be modified? Can we agree mutually to something? What if things change down the road and neither kid wants to go visit?who is responsible for airfare? I certainly can't afford to fly my kids back and forth three times a year. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes. The PP stays in place and is a valid court order that must be followed. If he want to change the plan and you do not agree, it is up to him to file a Petition to modify the PP. Children may never choose where they want to live or whether they want to visit -- again, a PP is court a court order. Failure to follow the court order can have serious ramifications for the parent who supports a child's refusal to follow the court order.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


The current parenting plan that you have entered with the court remains in effect. If you feel uncomfortable sitting down with the father, then I would hire an attorney to look over your case file and strategize next steps so that you and your children can feel secure as to the order(s) in place. I would want to see the language of the order and also I would like to know if this is a final or a temporary order currently entered with the court. Depending on the language of the parenting plan and if it is a final or temporary order, a parenting plan modification may actually be something you want to get done. If I were you, I would schedule a consultation with a family law attorney to review the parenting plan with you and decide next steps.


The answers: (1) "What rights do my kids have? The oldest has expressed a desire to not spend all free time with their dad." Your kids normally cannot speak directly to the judge; their views are transmitted by a court appointed Guardian Ad Litem (GAL). (2) : "Does my original parenting plan need to be modified?" From your point of view, probably not. If the dad has weekend visit and that becomes impossible because he moves, he's the one who has to ask the court to modify the parenting plan. On the other hand, you both can enter a modified parenting plan if you both agree on the terms. (3) "Can we agree mutually to something?" Yes. (4) "What if things change down the road and neither kid wants to go visit?" The current plan must be followed until it is modified. (5) "Who is responsible for airfare?" The current plan continues if it provides for responsibility for transportation. If it doesn't say you have to pay, you don't. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parenting plans, modifications, the UCCJEA, and visitation for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer