Skip to main content

No one signed a retainer fee agreement can you get a refund

Chicago, IL |

a father pays for a daughter lawyer and neither father nor daughter signed the retainer agreement. now we want to fire the lawyer is that helpful in getting a refund or half of the payment back. the daughter was under distress and had to turn herself into the police . father lived in another state and put the money in the lawyer account. father nor daughter signed retainer fee agreement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If the daughter's attorney did not earn the entire retainer, then it might be possible to seek a refund. However, in criminal cases, fees are generally flat rather than billed out hourly, which means the retainer was earned at he time the attorney did any work. The best course of action would be to ask for a refund and see what happens. It does not appear that the lawyer did anything wrong so if the daughter changed her mind, then a discussion with the lawyer might resolve this issue. Even though the father pad the fee, the daughter is the client.


I refrain from taking sides without knowing the exact circumstances. In the above narrative I do not know the extents of the legal work performed, the exact terms and conditions of the agreement for services and what actually happened.
As you may imagine, in criminal cases the fees vary with each particular licensed practitioner and without knowing more about the exact details I cannot even guess whether you could be entitled to any fee refund.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602