Skip to main content

No-fault NJ. Compensation for vehicle accident. I am a bicyclist.

Montvale, NJ |

Last year when I was riding a bike, a car bumped me at a stop sign. He did not see me. I fell down from the bike and was sent to emergency room by 911. Nothing broken. MRI says it's good. But the doctors and Independent Medical Evaluator say I do need an arthroscopic surgery for my knee. Almost one year. How much can I ask for the compensation from the driver's insurance company? When will my right forfeit? Thanks a lot!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 10


Hire a personal injury for help with this, that way you can maximize the recovery you get from the insurance company. Good luck!


Well that does sound like a serious case if you require surgery. Without looking at your medical records and knowing if you have any prior injuries I would not settle for less than 35,000, and you could probably get more if you retain counsel.

If you would like to discuss it further please feel free to contact me at:

This response is not legal advice and should be considered as attorney advertising. No attorney client relationship has been formed based on this response.


Continue to handle this on your own, and probably continue to botch it up. Retain local and qualified personal injury counsel. What intersection; I probably live within minutes of it? Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


I would review your police report as well as your medical report. Have you notified the vehicle's insurance company that there is a bodily injury claim? I can't recommend a demand until you are finished treatment. I can tell you that arthroscopic surgery is very painful as is the rehabilitation. Please be advised that there is a 2 year statute of limitations of 2 years from the date of the accident. This means a lawsuit must be filed prior to the two years.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


Find a local area personal injury attorney at the earliest possible time and turn your claim over to that attorney for handling. You definitely need help. Be aware too that quite often local area personal injury attorneys provide a free consultation and are up to date on the law of the state. Find one that is experienced and knowledgeable in personal injury and one that you feel comfortable in dealing with. I am sorry that your knee will require arthroscopic surgery. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


New Jersey Personal Injury - Auto Accident - Arthroscopic Knee Surgery - Case Valuation - Statute of Limitations. By Patrick Amoresano - If the driver of the car was completely at fault, and was the sole cause of your needing arthroscopic surgery on your knee ( presumably to treat torn meniscus and/or problems with your patella), your case has potential five figure value, assuming your injuries aren't any more serious than that. You should contact a local New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Civil Trial attorney practicing personal injury law right away. You have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit, unless you are under 18, in which case you have until your 20th birthday.


So many of my colleagues are correct -- you need local counsel to help!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Did you have MRI or CT for your knee(s)? Did you report to the driver's insurance company your injured knee(s)? You have two years to file your case since the incident (statute of limitation). You shall find a personal injury lawyer. Based on the information you provided, you can get something from the driver's insurance company. How much? I need see your police report, MRI report and your doctor's notes.


There are a plethora of factors which go into putting a number on a case. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for a lawyer to assist you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer