Skip to main content

No child support payments, no visitation rights?

Chicago, IL |

My ex-husband hasn’t paid child support for a few months now, yet he wants to see his 5 year old son. Can I keep my ex from visiting his son until he pays me child support? I don’t want to use my son as leverage, but I really need the money to keep him fed, clothed, and housed and this seems to be the only real motivator I have at my disposal.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Absolutely not. Non-payment of support is not a justification for refusing to follow the court's parenting time order. You can go after him for the money, but you can't keep the child from him.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


In Illinois, Support and Parenting time are separate issues. One can't be used as leverage against the other.


The court views visitation and child support as mutually exclusive issues. A parent isn't allowed to withhold visitation because child support hasn't been paid and a parent cannot withhold child support because they are not getting visitation. You can file a Contempt Petition against him for non-payment of support. If he is found in contempt the court should order him to pay your reasonable attorney's fees (unless you act as your own lawyer).

This response shall not be construed as specific legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Further, this response is not intended to solicit legal fees.


Child support and visitation are two separate concepts and should be kept separate. If you have issues with child support arrearages, bring your ex back to court. His failure to pay could result in his being respnonsible for your fees as well as the back support. You are correct not to use the leverage of withholding visitation. Consult with an experienced family law practitioner. You will need one eventually.