NJ PATH train fare evasion, court apperance question - any influence on foreign student VISA status?

Jersey City, NJ |

I walked through the open handicap gate after my friend without tapping my train card in Newport NJ Path station, and was consequently given a slip that says fare evasion (in violation of 21:1-146.8). The penalty is $31 and I will be happy to settle this problem by paying it, but I'm worried if this is a serious violation that will affect my F-1 visa status as a foreign student. Please let me know, it is much appreciated.

Best Answer

Since this is considered a violation, not a misdemeanor or a felony, this will not affect your status, but make sure you settle the matter and retain final disposition documents for future use if needed, for example, if you will seek lawful permanent residence in the U.S. in the future.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite at 646-407-2331. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

it most likely will not effect your immigration status.

Sounds like something that would not affect immigration status.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

No real effect.

One violation should not affect your visa because it is an administrative charge, not a criminal charge. However, if you become a repeat offender they could charge you criminally with theft, which would have an immigration impact.