Next Steps after Submitting an I-601 Waiver

New York, NY |

I have filed and submitted an I-601 waiver on behalf of my father. A week after submitting the waiver I received a receipt/notice stating that the payment was received (I-797C Notice of Action). Can someone please advice if the notice/ receipt is just for the payment or the waiver? Also, how long will I receive a response stating that the waiver was approved/ rejected? What are the next steps necessary?

You must wait about 4 months to see whether the waiver was approved or denied.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

The Government will make a decision on the waiver. If it is positive, your father will be called in for an immigrant visa.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

You should receive a decision on the waiver within 3-6 months.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

I agree with my colleagues ... a minimum of 4 months.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.