Skip to main content

Newly diagnosed w/prostate cancer & want to find options for ssi benefits for upcoming time when no longer able to work.

Maple Falls, WA |

Am 62 years old just diagnosed w/cancer 10 days ago & know soon wont be able to work & want to find help guiding me through ssi process to get most out of available benefits. where to go for help & advice? what timelines are for getting benefits etc. far too many ? to ask here. just need to get started.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I am sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. The first step would be to find a local Social Security Disability attorney that can sit down with you and go over your questions. Most attorneys offer a free consultation, and you can find an attorney in your area using the Avvo find a lawyer feature.

The second step is to file for disability, and I would suggest you obtain an attorney to help you navigate this process. This can sometimes be a lengthy process, and this it is important to get moving as soon as you can. Disability attorneys do not usually charge any fees upfront, and are paid only if you are granted benefits.

This answer does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a local attorney to ensure any questions you may have are properly answered.

Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus


Even after you are not working and are found disabled by Social Security, there is still a five month waiting period from the date of disability before benefits start.


you may not be able to get ssi as cancer is considered a less than one year disability.
you should co
ntact clrc.
if you have disability w/ work, you should file for this. and if you need govt. assistance, you could potentially file for ssdi depending on if your wife works.
get in touch w/ cancer legal resource center in LA. and livestrong may be able to navigate you towards different sources of funding for prostate cancer.

None of my answers on avvo are intended as legal advice, and by answering questions, you are not my client. Always speak to an attorney.


Do you not qualify for SSDI? Anyway, once you have to stop working file a claim. Talk to some attys to get their advice regarding your particular situation. consultations are free.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.


If you do not have an attorney, there are a number of good attorneys in your area, some of whom you can find here on Avvo. Use the “Attorney Finder” feature of Avvo for help with that.

You can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is:

You may also contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact your local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney. If there is a law school in your area, you may contact their legal clinic as well. Or, use the “Attorney Finder” feature of Avvo for help with that.

Finally, you may also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Whether you'd qualify for expedited review of your Social Security Disability application will depend on diagnosis and prognosis. If prostate cancer is diagnosed and treated early, it may not be disabling if you are likely able to return to work within 12 months. If it is a later stage and expected to be terminal, or keep you off work for more than 12 months, you may well qualify for Social Security Disability benefits. Please consult with an attorney experienced in Social Security Disability for specific advise. The more information you bring to that initial, free, appointment, the more productive the appointment will be.

Good luck to you.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer