Needing to speak with an attorney about an employment agency in Kansas City, MO. that is lying and misusing federal grant money.

Kansas City, MO |

A Kansas City Organization has made promises to several people who are displaced workers. These displaced workers were able to take advantage of an $8,000 grant from the Federal Gov., that money then is given to the state then given to this Org. to use for training for the displaced employee. We were told the employers were already in place. All we had to do was pick one of the programs that was available, take the classes and training, complete, and pass the tests for certification. We did everything that was asked of us to find out there never was any jobs to begin with. They used our grant money and we got nothing. One of the orgs. employees has made verbal violent threats after a complaint was filed with DED/WIA. I have a complete complaint that I would be happy to send you. HELP!!!!

Sounds like you need a good private investigator. You may want to contact an attorney through the AVVO attorney search and use their investigator to help you get to the bottom of this situation.

Communication through AVVO does not constitute legal representation. Representation by this law firm can only be established through a written agreement executed by both attorney and client. In the absence of such express representation agreement, this law firm does not represent the recipient or reader and no person or party should rely upon statements, opinions or advice contained herein.

No P.I. is needed, Not sure you understood what has happened. Federal grant money has been used by an organization that promised jobs after we went to classes and passed certification tests. They lied to 10 of us that took a Certified Logistics Associate certification. There never were any employers or jobs waiting for us at the end of our classes. I have sent complete details to every federal and state agency I can get an address for. I have yet to hear anything back as of yet. I'm pretty sure I have a personal case against this organization on a couple levels, but not sure who to go to. They also have used my name to get this grant money from the government, it apperars there's no one that oversee's whether they do their job or not.

Evan Matthew Oshan

Evan Matthew Oshan

You could use the P.I. to assist in taking witness statements to document your claims. Just an idea.

We are displaced workers. Ford shut down part of their plant here in KC when they shipped the Escape to Kentucky to be built. Literally thousands of workers were layed off, including dozens of suppliers employees. Because of the mass lay offs this grant money was made available to any of us that wanted to take advantage. Our local UAW union is fully aware of everything that has happend. The organization that has misused, abused, and fraudulently used this grant money is called FEC (Full Employment Council), they set up shop at our union hall and gave us all this bogus information. This isn't a union matter either, but the union personel has rcorded and documented the things the FEC has done. The threat that was made against me was made in front of several witnesses that included union officials. More then anything personally I'm just needing to know what kind of attorney I need to get to help me and the rest of the people that the FEC has done this to. There's not an attorney category that deals with grant fraud.

Evan Matthew Oshan

Evan Matthew Oshan

I wish I could help, sorry you are dealing with this situation. Maybe you could contact your union rep.

Appreciate your concern Mr. Oshan. We are getting the run around from the state agency that administrates the federal funds to this organization, several of us have filed formal complaints and statements to the DED WIA agency who is the over see'r. I have personally sent e-mails and letters to every member of the Missouri State House of Reps., the Governor, State AOG, The President and Vice President of the United States, Senators for Missouri, DOL in Washington D.C. and Missouri, dozens of others state and federal agencies, and the media. I just can't believe that there's no one out there that cares that this money is not being used right. For 10 of us that is $80,000 and if there is more and I'm more then sure there is it could go into the millions of dollars of federal money that is being misused every year. It's just a very frustrating time and I hope I can find an attorney soon, this FEC wants to meet with me and their attorneys but they won't allow me to bring anyone with me to this meeting. I told them I wouldn't go without an attorney or witness. they have refused me twice now to bring someone along with me even as a witness. Neat people huh?

Evan Matthew Oshan

Evan Matthew Oshan

Hang in there, fights like this are like chipping away at a brick wall you never know which tap of the wall will bring it down.

You are so right sir. I know contacting people in Washington D.C. is red tape from hell, but I'm hoping just one of the e-mails or letters is going to get dropped into the right hands and they are going to want to see some justice take place. We don't want jobs handed to us for free. We went to classes at a local college, did the work, completed it, and passed the tests. This CLA test was the hardest test I have ever had to take in my life. In the history of the Kansas City Metropolitan Community Colleges there has only been 3 people who has ever breached a 90% on this test. I am now one of those 3 with a 91%. The teacher who taught the course took the test and got a 74%...70% was passing. That's how hard this thing was, we all agree that we don't think we were suppose to pass this certification thus this FEC wouldn't have had to make good on their promises, but ooops we did. All we really want now is to see this same thing never happens again to anyone else. We will find jobs.

Consult with an Employee Rights attorney. They should be able to guide you in the right direction.

That is what is making this so frustrating and complicated, we are laid off, we don't have an employer so to speak right now so we aren't employees of anyone. This organization took advantage of our situation, took the money the federal government provided and used it with no results. And from what I understand they don't ever have to show there was any success in any of this on their part. They get away with the perfect scam and that is sad.

Since this is a federal program, you may have some recourse through some non-employment law avenues. Feel free to contact me so that we can discuss further.

I've gotten your e-mail address from your law firms web site and will send you the complaint I have made to many federal and state agencies. It's also the complaint I have filed with DED/WIA that I feel I'm getting the run around from. The person at DED/WIA also seems to be sending everything I send her to FEC letting them know what I'm saying. I've added some updates to the original complaint so that it is completely up to date.

Luckily, attorney White has offered to discuss this with you, so best bet is to call to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

I sent Mr. White the complete story and complaint and he is going to take a couple days to digest it and let me know what he thinks.

You pose an interesting question. If you believe there has been fraud involved here and that the organization has fraudulently obtained funds which originate from the federal government, there is the possibility of what is called a Qui Tam action. There is a federal statute which allows you to sue in the shoes of the government when the government has been defrauded. If the suit is successful, damages can be tripled, attorney fees paid by the defendant and you could share in a percentage of the tripled recovery. You may wish to review the Legal Guide I have published on Avvo.com concerning Qui Tam actions. You can access the Guide through my profile page. You would need to contact an attorney who is familiar with the Qui Tam process, as it is rather particularized as to how it needs to proceed in court.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

I

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mr. Lundeen that is very interesting information and worth looking into. I have just one question regarding it though, what type of attorney handles such a thing?

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Not many attorneys handle these claims as they can be complex and expensive to bring. I suggest you consult your State Bar association referral service for recommendations or check your yellow pages ads for attorneys willing to take on these cases. You also could check AVVO for attorneys who handle these cases.

Could be that the organization is committing fraud against the government. You may qualify as a relator under Qui Tam.

Let us know if we can help.

This response should not be constued as legal advice on how to proceed as our firm does not have enough information to analyze the claim. Further, until we are in an attorney/client relationship we generally do not give specific legal advice.