Skip to main content

Need opinion from DEFENSE ATTY for a car accident in NJ by a driver (son) w/ an expired license (CT) -car owner in NY (parents)

Flushing, NY |

My brother got into an accident w/ my parents' car (NY plates)
hitting a car and caused property damage in NJ
CT license may be expired - what should my parents (& brother) do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Repost your question on the New Jersey Avvo page and everyone should put their carriers on notice of a possible claim.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The insurance company of anyone involved as a driver or injured passenger or owner of property damaged should notify their insurance companies timely. You wil then get opinions from the defense attorneys if need be.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


Report it to insurance carrier to resolve


As the other attorneys suggest, report the claim to all applicable carriers. If they have a legitimate basis for denying the claim then your parents and brother may need to hire personal counsel.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.


If you have not reported the accident to your parents insurance company, do it now! Assuming that he was driving your parents car with their permission, coverage may not be a problem. Consider co silting with a NJ personal injury attorney as well. Good luck.

The responses provided to your questions are not legal advice, do not create any attorney client relationship, and are provided for informational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer