Need help with medical release forms, other insurance company wants me to sign a medical release do I have to?

Yakima, WA |

I was sent a medical release form, it wants my whole medical history including, hiv testing, alcohol and drug testing, mental health issues, and my whole medical history do I need to sign this or not

You should consult with a lawyer and get assistance with your case. Generally, insurance companies seek the most expansive releases possible. They are often not limited as to time (forever) or scope (any and all records). This practice is not done to help someone filing a claim. It can hurt your case. Retain a local lawyer to provide advice on this issue and to represent you with your case. I hope this helps.

This release seems overly-broad and may be unnecessary depending on your injuries. Contact a local attorney for help, they can handle all communications with the insurer and relieve the stress of dealing with this matter.

The simple answer is no. You do not have to sign that release. Consult with an injury attorney. USually the first consultation is free

Call me at (503) 990-6641 to discuss further.

A local lawyer can review the release and figure out what would be necessary to send them.

Cant say about Wash law, but in Ca, even after you file suit, there are limits to what records they can get. I would not sign the form. Get a legal consult to see if you should have a lawyer represent you. I go through my clients records and send them what I think is relevant when I try to settle the case. You dont have to sign, unless there is something about your state law that requires it.

Generally the rule is reasonableness. You can handwrite directly on the release exactly what you are permitting to be released. You should seek local counsel to fully protect your rights. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

Realistically, yes. In filing an L&I you effectively waive physician-patient privilege and your entire medical history can be investigated. This rarely happens, but in many cases L&I or your employer will examine the records for a few years before you date of injury to see if you had been treated for the same or a similar condition.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

No, I virtually never have clients sign a release for the adverse insurance company. That being said, at the time you submit your case for settlement, you will generally need to send them copies of your relevant medical records to support your claim for injuries. But I like the chance to review them first and then send them along, and it would almost never be relevant to check the box for AIDS, mental health (unless claim for emotional distress), STDs, etc.