Skip to main content


Melbourne, FL |

guys my I - 20 got cancelled because i was earlier enrolled in a university and later i transferred to a community college and and due to non payment at my university because of severe crisis back at home and now the community college wants my transcript . they are not allowing me to enroll for the next semester . the university has transferred my remaining dues to a collection agency and the amount is quiet lumsome with the interest . PLEASE HELP ME ASAP . . any legal advice would be helpful in case of the I - 20 AND THE COLLECTION AGENCY

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It sounds like you have a problem. As for your balance of tuition with the university, the usual option is to pay it or it will be a blemish on your credit report. You could negotiated with the agency and get it reduced. It's unlikely that it will be forgiven. (What is the relationship between "crisis back home" and your academic crisis here?)

It is normal for a university to withhold transcripts until a "financial clearance" is obtained.

You are likely out of status at this time. You need to consult an experienced immigration Attorney ASAP.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2


I agree with prior counsel.


Speak with the foreign certain advisor and the college financial office. See if you can work out an agreement. At this point you may be out of status.


First, consult with an immigration lawyer ASAP. The second issue can be resolved with money. Try to borrow from friends and family and propose a lump sum down payment and balance on terms to get a clearance letter.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer