Skip to main content

Need an Employment Atty that handles Whistleblower case. Is it illegal for employer to retaliate against employee for reporting?

San Gabriel, CA |

Reported major Misconduct in a State Agency? Receiving retaliation and harassment by employer in adverse action and must attend Skelly Hearing in two weeks while I'm on disability. Seeking Employment Attorney (Contingency) as soon as possible.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This forum is for general legal information, not the solicitation of lawyers. You can use the AVVO lawyer search function, google or contact your local county bar association for prospective lawyers.


Not all acts of retaliation will result in liability. Many forms of what people would consider to be whistle blowing are not unlawful. That said, it is good you are looking for an attorney to assist you. This is not the place to recruit an attorney. However, we can certainly help point you in the right direction.

I would suggest you look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section, or go to, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

Most employment attorneys who practice this area of law work on a contingency basis, meaning you can hire an attorney without paying any money until the matter results in a positive outcome for you. Many advance all the costs of the litigation as well. Do not let fear of fees and costs keep you from finding a good attorney.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


I agree with my colleagues about using or Find a Lawyer. Many attorneys practicing in this area handle cases on a contingency and have represented employees at Skelly Hearings. You should look for an attorney that is comfortable handling both employment law and administrative hearings. Good luck.


It is unclear from your question what type of major misconduct you reported to the state agency. Retaliatory acts against an employee who reports certain illegal acts by an employer is prohibited. However, I am unsure if that is the case here. I would recommend searching Avvo for a good employment law attorney to represent you at the Skelly Hearing. You can search for lawyers who will take your case on contingency. Good luck.