Skip to main content

Need advice on what to do next!

Novi, MI |

My husband filed an I-485 on my behalf, we went thru two interviews, they sent us an intent to deny, before we could reply the re-opened the case, then they sent us a denial notice on grounds on abandonment and non-bona fide marriage. Should we file another I-485 or what should we do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You definitely need to consult with an immigration attorney. Bring copies of all of your immigration-related documents, including copies of your I-485 application and any other applications or petitions, and the USCIS documents, including the denial. An attorney will be able to work with you to plan the best course of action.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


While this is bad news, it is fixable if you have competent counsel helping you. If you lack valid status in the U.S., you could be subject to removal, so it is important that you act quickly. You should speak with an attorney as soon as possible.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known and detailed research has not been undertaken. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers require an investigation into all facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. Use these answers at your own risk.


Unfortunately no attorney can sum up in a few words what you should do as it should be pretty obvious that your situation is complex. You need to speak to a competent attoney and see what the best course of action is for your case.

Niren & Associates
(toll free) 1-866-929-0991
(local) 416-410-7484

Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.


They should have given you an opportunity to appeal within 30 days. If you are still withing these 30 period, I would strongly urge you to contact an immigration lawyer.



I did contact a lawyer, who e-mailed the immigration office, explaining they had re-opened the case and now they are saying we abandoned it but nothing happened. The lawyer was advising that we file another I-485, is this a good idea?