Skip to main content

NC Civil Procedure for Collection of a Judgement

Greensboro, NC |

I filed a civil judgement against an individual who was supposed to deliver credit repair services. Basically, the person never did anything and promised a full refund for lack of services.

A judgement was ordered in my favor almost a year ago, and I have yet to receive any money. What can I do to collect the money owed?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Before spending time and money on collection, try to determine if the defendant has assets. Real property records are public. Has defendant filed bankruptcy? After you feel certain you are not throwing good money after bad, you will need to send the notice of rights with motion for exemptions. Exemptions if claimed within the 20 day time frame allow the Defendant to keep certain assets. If assets exist above exemptions or if no exemptions are claimed, could proceed with writ of execution--beware that there usually are upfront costs required by Sheriff to seize property for sale. Could also try freezing defendant's bank account if you know which bank. If defendant did not respond to exemptions, you can use supplemental interrogatories to get information.