Skip to main content

Naturalization re-interview. Origin country passport requested and list of all the trips outside US.

New York, NY |

LO asked to bring to my naturalization RE-interview passport issued for the last 9yrs. I haven't travel outside US since 1999 (my immediate family is in the US and I had no money for travel, which I told the LO at the initial citizenship interview). I haven't reneved my passport since 2004 when it expired till last year I now have a passport. My country embassy don't have any paperwork to provide me, they said they don't know what to give me.I have brought all previous passports issued to me at the first interview but still I can't provide anything that will cover the years they are asking for since I never had the passport for the asked period of time. Can I be denied the citizenship?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Provide the passport which expired in 2004, yor new passport and a astement notarized that you did not renew your 2004 passport until recently and have not left the U.S. since 19999.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Provide again all the passports you have ever had for the relevant period; your statement that you did not leave the country for the period you do not have a passport for; explain what you were doing in the US for that period (was fully employed; went to school, etc.)

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


Have you considered taking an immigration lawyer to the re-interview with you? An immigration lawyer can explain your case to the Officer. Also, you may want to prepare an Affidavit stating that you have not traveled and also explaining why you are unable to provide the passport as requested. Your Affidavit should be notarized and should have a copy of your ID attached as well.

Generally, as long as you can explain why you cannot provide the requested documentation and as long as you provide other secondary forms of evidence (i.e. Affidavit, etc.), if the Officer is reasonable you can still be approved for naturalization. If I were in your shoes, I would also take an immigration lawyer with me, just to let the Officer know that I am aware of my rights, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Lena Korial-Yonan, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer