Skip to main content

Naturalization process taking too long.

Baltimore, MD |

Its been almost 2 years that I applied for my citizenship and I have still not had a decision taken on my case. I went for the interview and passed the English and Civics test but was handed a form that said a decision cannot be made yet. I received a letter later asking me to send some documents which I did and still never heard from them. I called them later, contacted an attorney who helped me write to them and they basically asked me to submit the same documents they requested me to send the second time again and that was about 3 months and I've still not had a decision yet. When I check my status online, it still says request for evidence. Now, I'm confused and don't know what to do. I've given them everything they requested for. What should I do or who can I contact?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I usually do an infopass for my clients.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


It is impossible to guess what is causing this delay which is by far much longer then usual. I agree with my colleague that you should make an INFOPASS for an update. It may be simply the file was reassigned to a new agent or they have had difficulty locating records from other jurisdictions. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


Schedule an InfoPass appointment, you will be told the same thing.. The only way, if you feel you have a clean and approvable case, is to have that same lawyer file a mandamus action against USCIS, compelling it to adjudicate it forthwith.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Your lawyer should write to USCIa with a draft of a petition for writ of mandamus to show them you mean business. Give USCIS a deadline and if they do not adjudicate your N-400, then be prepared to file the mandamus action in US District Court. If successful there a federal judge may also require the government to reimburse you for the attorney fees you incurred.

Rick Moore