Skip to main content

Name correction on high school diploma after 25+ years

Jericho, VT |

One was given to foster parents while at elementary school, and continued using his real birth last name through the middle of grade 12, when he was transferred to another foster home in another city. Due to negligence of the new foster parents, he was registered with his real first name, but with the foster parents' last name for the rest of grade 12, after which his high school diploma was issued with the foster parent's last name. Upon reaching 18, he left the foster parents. Now after almost 25 years, he wants to go to college, but the last name on his high school diploma doesn't match his real/current last name. What can he do to get the last name on the high school diploma be corrected?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Start off with non-legal approach by contacting the high school. Consider going to a printer and having a new diploma made up with correct name. That is not fraudulent if he in fact graduated, and in fact is using the name you want to put on the diploma.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen


Besides the diploma, the College will probably want a transcript of the student's high school grades. The transcript will need to be changed or annotated about the name change.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer