N400 interview should i be worried?

Bronx, NY |

Hi, i am new to this forum but have been browsing for a couple of days now. I had my interview today at 26 Federal Plaza for citizenship interview was for 10:amwas called in about 11:20am. The IO was very nice throughout the whole process which made me very calm. I filed based on 5yr rule. At the begining of the interview The IO asked to swear in gave me the reading and writing exam and then the civic test( I only answered 6 questions cause i got then i got them right) he then me if i wanted to change my name and i told him yes, as I recently got married in feb of this yr he asked If i had the document thats support my name change and I handed my divorce from my prior marriage and gave him my new marriage certificate. He then congratulated on my marriage. He then went through my entire application and asked all the questions from it but through out the whole process he was very pleasant, smiled and and kept on saying "everything looks good" He than asked me to sign the pictures that i sumbmiited wit hthe application andi also had brough new photos so i asked if he needed those he said that i can keep those and use them for my passport cause my natz cert will more or likely have the pic i took when i did my biometrics, but they always ask for my as backup in case they need it. After the interview once again said everything looks good, but he just has to look over the new informationi gave him and i will get the oath letter in about a week, he then said to me since you live in the bronx you may be coming back here to swear in and the swear in should be about 2 weeks after you receive the oath letter and also mentions that oath ceremonies at 26 Federal plaza are held on fridays. He asked if i had any other questions for him and i said "you say in about a week i will get an oath letter he said correct" We walked to the printer he photocopied a piece of paperand gave it to me and then he said so "are you going work today or you took the day off" so i said I'm going to school @ 3pm he asked how much longer i have in school while we were at the printer and i told him a month and a half and he responded. "good thats not very long, congrats to you i wish you the best" After i walked out and look at the paper he gave me i realize it says a I passed the text, but a "Decision cannot be made about your application" I was shocked. Should i be worried? I though he was going to check the "Recommended for approval"

Best Answer

I agree with my colleague - this is often what happens, for several reasons. It may be just that when they check "approved" they are worried about additional inquiries.

It also may be that, for several possible reasons, a supervisor must sign off on the case before it is "officially" approved (so they may not be able to officially approve it yet).

My guess would be that everything is fine - give it longer than the one week (say, a month), but I would expect you would get an oath letter during that period.

thank you for your speedy reply. I just called customer service and they told me that my case was approved by the intevierwer today, but is currently waiting for final approval from his supervisor. Do you have any idea as to how long this can take?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep, yet. In my experience, this box is often checked, and simply allows the officer to avoid saying they plan to approve it, which can be true if they only want to review the file at the end of the day for completeness. Some don't like to say they are recommending the case for approval because it leads to more inquires, etc., sooner when the case isn't resolved promptly. Unless there is a substantive reason for your concern, I would sit tight, without worrying too much at this point. I'd expect an approval notice/oath within 30 days.