Skip to main content

N-400 interview questions!

Englewood, NJ |

I have N-400 interview(based on marriage) coming up soon. Should I order tax transcripts or should i take copy of the tax returns I sent originally with my N-400 application? I live with my wife at her parents house. Is it enough to have my father-in-law write me a letter stating that we both live with them as a proof residence?
Thank you very much,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes, to all of the above, keep all the documents in your briefcase, and only show if and when asked. Not until and not unless.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It does not hurt to order the transcripts and have them with you. Hopefully, you ran your intention of naturalizing by a lawyer first. Good luck.

*IMPORTANT: Do not rely on Attorney Murray's response as the information provided on this website is NOT legal advice nor is it a substitute for legal advice which requires a consultation with a lawyer. Attorney Murray's response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. If you have any specific questions concerning a legal issue, you should consult a lawyer. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on a Q&A website such as Avvo. Attorney Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted on Avvo are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. New Jersey residents: NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. The selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Yes, bring the documents you are able to to the interview and show them when asked.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


You can bring copies of the tax returns with you. That would be fine. A letter from your father-in-law would also be good to bring to the interview.

This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.


Copies of your tax returns are fine. In addition to the letter written by your father-in-law, any mail that you and your wife receive at that address would also help to show joint residence.


Tax returns are fine (they must be signed). A letter from your father in law is probably not enough evidence to prove joint residence. YOu should consult with a lawyer for some guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer