N-400 Application for Naturalization with I-912 Fee Waiver Application. In your opinion will i be approved for the fee waiver?

Las Vegas, NV |

I stated on the I-912 Application for Fee Waiver that I have been unemployed but providing unpaid caregiver services to my mother whom suffers from Schizophrenia and Coronary Artery disease among other things. I also receive medicaid and food assistance from the county for both my mother and I. I submitted copies of all the approval letters for these assistance programs as well as medical evidence of moms diagnosis. And Finally I included tax transcripts showing that I have not filled taxes since 2010 because of not being paid to take care of my mother. I submitted the N-400 Application for Naturalization with I-912 Fee Waiver Application. In your opinion will i be approved for the fee waiver?

Best Answer

Did you include affidavits explaining your financial hardship? If you receive means tested benefits, and if you followed the instructions at http://www.uscis.gov/forms/tips-filing-form-i-912-request-fee-waiver, you have a good chance to get approved.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

From my understanding Medicaid and Food Stamps (SNAP) are means tested benefits. I did included a statement explaining my cituation but I refered to the letter as "I am writting this letter to verify". I did not say affidavit.

Aneliya M. Angelova

Aneliya M. Angelova

It is ok you did not label it "affidavit." When did you submit the application? You should know soon!

I submitted the application yesterday. It hasn't yet arrived because I am tracking it with the USPS tracking service. I'm just being anxious. It will be big for my mother to see me become a citizen after all the trouble she went through to get me here legally.

Aneliya M. Angelova

Aneliya M. Angelova

I understand. You will have to wait a few more days (approximately 7 days unless you signed up for the text message notification).

Perfect. I'll post a reply here to your comment when I get a decision.

Just thought i'd let you know that today I recieved a notice from USCIS saying that my fee waiver has been approved and that I should be expecting a letter for my biometrics. All happened within 10 business. I'm excited. Thanks. :)

Aneliya M. Angelova

Aneliya M. Angelova

Very happy for you! CONGRATS! HAVE A NICE WEEKEND! :)

It is hard to give you a definite yes or no answer, all I can say is that they make a decision on a case by case basis.

I just wanted to say thank you. Its been a long time since I asked this question but I became a citizen august 8th 2014. Thank you so much for answering my question.

The I-912 for anyone with means tested benefit is made solely on that proof. USCIS has provided a memo to guide those filing the I-912. The other two options are discretionary and subject to USCIS determining whether the applicant deserves the waiver.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

As a legal service attorney most of my clients have means tested benefits so I send in a copy of the USCIS memo with highlighted section and have received the waiver approval within 10 days.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

The next step will be the biometrics notice usually received within 10 days of waiver notice. Good luck.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

Great news and God Bless :-)