Skip to main content

N-400 and selective service!

Fort Lee, NJ |

Hi, my cousin wants to apply for naturalization based on marriage. He received his green card when he was 24 and didn't register for the selective service because he simply didn't know. Now he is 27. Do you think his N-400 will definitely be rejected because he didn't register for the selective service or should he wait until he is 31?
Thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


The N-400 may be rejected because he did not register. He should wait until he is 31 until he applies so this issue does not come up.

You may contact the Law Office of Robin J. Gray for further legal advice. Office (610) 689-0877; Fax (610) 689-0932; Cell (484) 769-5855; This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.


There is a difference between REJECTION and DENIAL. His application may be DENIED (decision based on substantive grounds). Rejection is the process when a case is sent back based on a technicallity such as a missing required document, no fee attached, etc. When a case is rejected, the applicant can file again right away if he/she can correct the deficiency. Denial of a citizenship application is a different story. So yes, his application may be denied.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.


Did he check to see if he was registered by USCIS? You can go on the website and enter your information to see if your are registered.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.


Call an attorney.

This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship.


He could be denied, but he could also take steps to cure this problem before applying. I've seen many naturalizations approved for people with similar facts who take corrective action first. Call a lawyer.


More info needed. Speak to a Fort Lee immigration lawyer who can investigate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer