N-400 and name change

New York, NY |

I requested a name change in my N-400 application. I heard differing stories regarding how this impacted the oath of allegiance. Will I be able to attend the regular oath ceremony with everyone else, or will I have a separate oath of allegiance with a judge?

Best Answer

Your name change will not affect it. You will have the ceremony along with everyone else. The ceremony is a judicial proceeding, so you will take care of both issues at the same time.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice.

In essence you are asking for gossip on general information legal forum. I am not sure we can satisfy this request.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

How is this answering my question? I didn't ask for your sassy comment, just your professional experience on a general information question regarding a name change. If you are willing to give it, I still welcome your insight on any of your clients who changed their name when filing for naturalization.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I am not answering your question because it violated this site's Terms of Use. Review those. You can find the document if you scroll all the way down the page. The link is in the footer.

Please enlighten me and indicate which specific article of the Terms of Use my question violated.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Yours was not a question. It was a call for speculation. You got several speculations as replys. You can indulge yourself in reading those. I hope you got sufficiently enlightened.

I was asking immigration professionals' insight on a general information question. Your colleagues were extremely helpful and answered my question by relying on their years of experience in the field. You also had the opportunity to do so, but you chose to post a sassy comment instead. I can only hope your behavior on this website is not indicative of how you treat your clients.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I am happy for you. I am very peased that you got the information you wanted to get and I am very proud for my colleagues who were able to supply this information for you. I am also very sorry, I could not keep up with your high expectations of engaging in speculations and innuendos. I guess I do not have access to the same reliable information my colleagues do.

You heard wrong. With or without the name change, which is free when filing for citizenship, you will attend the oath ceremonies at the same time as everyone else who applied for citizenship.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Good for you you are actually checking with immigration attorneys rather than relying on random rumors. No, this is not the case.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.