Skip to main content

N 400 - Tax Return Transcript Question.

Beverly Hills, CA |

Before my current 5 year continious residence period, I was out for 2 years with re-entry permit.

I belive if you are out on reentry permit, regardless of it being before 5 years, one has to submit tax return transcrips for last 5 years with application, correct me if I am wrong?

Q1: For a couple of yrs I made no money and my dad supported me and I was a dependant on a couple of my dads returns, and dependants dont get transcripts only filer gets so how can I get my transcripts???? Is it ok to submit my dads transcripts showing my info on it???

Q2: What I dont undetand is, how can my last 5 year transcript prove anything about my 6 year old reentry trip abroad(IRS only gives last 4 transcripts(i.e 5 yrs period))??

Please advice, thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you were not required to file the tax returns by USCIS, why would you send it to them?

Karen Weinstock, Attorney at Law
Managing Attorney, Atlanta Office
Siskind Susser Immigration Lawyers
Telephone: 770-913-0800 or 866-644-0404



I am not very sure if they need to be sent, during my past 5 years I have never been out for more than 6 months, how ever before 6 years I was out for 2 years on reentry permit, does that mean I need to send tax transcrpits? thankls!


I do not know why you would want to submit all those taxes. Are you trying to establish intent to not abandon your card? I am concerned about your total time out of the US however, but am guessing you have already addressed that issue.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.



Thank you, Yes I was out for more then 2 years with a valid reentry permit and after I came back I started my 5 year chain, during my 5 year chain have never been out for more than 6 months, that is my situation.