Skip to main content

Mydivorce was settled in 6yrs ago in fl and now both parties live in nc,i have filed in nc and she filed 2nd in fla. court???

New York, NY |

mother is attempting to flee the country with new husband and have our old case heard in florida where we lived yrs ago but now we live in a different state and i filed first in present state of residence.what court preceeds

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question isn't clear. It is always a good idea for anyone going to court to at least have a consultation with a local attorney to review all the details of the pending matter so informed decisions can be made going forward regarding the case. So I suggest that as your first course of action. You can find attorney contact info below or by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


The answer will depend on the jurisdictional requirements of NC and FL courts, neither of which am I familiar with. It may likely turn on how long the two of you have resided in NC. If you don't have an attorney representing you, you should find one to do so ASAP.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer