Skip to main content

My X stopped paying his child support in January. I have a case with DOR. Since then he's inherited several mil $. I need help.

Largo, FL |

I am a ft student and he is making it impossible for me to live. He posts all the fabulous things he's buying on facebook,(cars, boats, jetskis etc) nothing for our daughter. I walked away from the marriage with nothing, I was supposed to get the house but he just sold the deed for $10 to a 3rd party (no I did not sign MY interest over) He was the income for the 18 years we were together so I had nothing to fight him with and until I finish school I have no job skills to support my child.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should go talk to an attorney and try to get representation and see if the court will order him to pay your fees.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******


A private attorney will likely press your case more aggressively than DOR. It is certainly wise to retain an attorney because he/she can file a Motion for Contempt/Order to Show Cause Hearing whereby your ex will have to explain to the court why he's willfully non-compliant with the court's child support order. If he truly has the money then there's a chance you could get it all paid and even your attorney's fees as well. However, you need to hire an attorney first! Thanks for your question and have a great night.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


You have to hire a lawyer to try to intercept that money asap


You need to hire a private attorney so that your case may be given the personal attention it deserves. Your attorney will probably want to file a modification and a contempt of court action to ensure you are receiving the correct amount of child support in a timely manner.


Agreed. You definitely want to hire an attorney that will get the money you need to raise your daughter. My experience is that if you hire a private attorney, DOR will step aside. They certainly have enough cases to work through. Since the amount of money your ex has increased so dramatically, you may seek a modification.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer