Skip to main content

My wife was arrested last month for filing a false police report. Because of my income, she does not qualify for public defender

Sabina, OH |

With my current finacial condition, I have not been able to come up with the money to pay for a Lawyer. The Pre-trial is on 3/26/2014 and I don't know what to do. First of all, she never sighned a police report. She only inquired about looking into abandonment of her neice, who was living with us at that time, by her mother. My wife made an verbal agreement with the mother that her neice could finish the school year in our school district. The problem was we did not have the right to pick her up from school because we were not on the list to be able to do so. The Police officer determined that, since there was a verbal aggreement, that the mother had fullfilled her duties and that we had wasted his time and placed my wife under arrest. Further more, he never read her rights!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I hate seeing questions like this because of the answer, but here it is: She Needs a Lawyer. I'm sorry you don't think you can afford it, but if you've been denied a court appointed lawyer you must find one for her.

This site is a lot like Web MD and that type. You can get advice, learn what the maimum penalties are etc..... but in the end, you can't prescribe your own meds and and you can't perfor surgery.

You NEED a qualified criminal defense attorney. While this offense is relatively minor, in that she probably isn't looking at significant jail time if any, it is an offense of dishonesty which will greatly impact her employment and oother prospects in the future.

Do what ever you have to. Beg, Borrow, Barter or sell your toys. She is your wife and it is your duty to provide her with the best defense there is.


Look for an attorney that you can work out a payment plan with . You absolutely need a criminal law attorney to represent your wife given the circumstances you describe. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find local attorneys to consult with.... Best of luck to you and your wife...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Suggest you borrow money from family or friends and do whatever it takes to hire an attorney.

Police are not required to give Miranda rights, common misunderstanding from TV shows.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.