Skip to main content

My wife's name is on our deed with and without a mistake. Maryjane Watson (correct), Mary Jane (Incorrect)

Boston, MA |

I recently bought a house two months ago. My attorney made a mistake, but I did not notice my attorney’s mistake until now. Let’s say my wife’s name is Maryjane Watson. Due to my attorney’s mistake the third person is on our deed: Mary Jane.
The reason why this happened is that she prepared the quitclaim deed with the wrong name, Mary Jane. My attorney realized that the name is wrong, and she added these words. “AKA Maryjane Waton”.

This is why I have the third person on my deed. Is this a severe problem?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Rest assured that a title is not defective because of a minor variation in the spelling of a name. If you feel very uneasy about the situation, you can request that the attorney who drafted the deed record a title affidavit pursuant to Mass. General Laws Chapter 183, s. 5B to help clarify the chain of title for the property.

This "answer" is for information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship.


If everyone will agree, the simplest way is often to record a "confirmatory deed" correcting the error (the attorney should pay for it) and/or to record an affidavit.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


I agree with my colleagues. Although the deed could have been prepared by the seller's attorney, it is your attorney's job to make sure that it is accurate. In this case, the deed is not perfect, but your wife definitely still has title to the property. I would also check and make sure that both of your names are correct on the mortgage.

The content of this answer should not be relied upon or used as a subsitute for consultation with professional advisors and it should be clearly understood that no attorney-client privilege has been created. A more complete answer and/or more accurate answer can only be provided in a more thorough examination of the facts in a consultation with my firm.


Normally an a/k/a is not a problem on a deed. Your attorney can either record a confirmatory deed, or you can both deed the property into just your names, or perhaps you can just leave it. If it really troubles you, you should consult with your attorney to see if he or she is willing to assist you remove the third name.

This information is not intended to be legal advice and does not create an attorney-client privilege or relationship between Anjali Gupta Stevenson Law Office, LLC and the reader. This information is for general purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer