My wife's F2 visa expired last week.School advisor told me that as long as I am in valid visa status, she is fine.

Decatur, IL |

My school advisor told me that F2 visa is allowed to expire and as long as the primary visa holder is in valid visa status, she will automatically be in valid status. Just want to confirm this.
P.S.: I know that once she leaves the country, she will need F2 visa again.

Best Answer

Her status is "linked" to your status, but its duration is determined by the date on I-94. If her I-94 is marked as "D/S" and you are still in valid F1, your wife shall be fine.

Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.

Yes mam, she has D/S on her I-94. Thanks for the info :)

Natalia Polukhtin

Natalia Polukhtin

No problem.

Her status is determined by the date on her I-94 card, which should be "d/s" or "duration of status".

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Alright, she does have D/S marked by the Immigration officer on her I-94. Thanks..

Your advisor is correct.
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com