My wife just got her green card and she is pregnant. My sponsors are my aunt and uncle will they be charge if she gets medical.

Portland, OR |

Just dont want my aunt and uncle to be charge because they were my sponsor for immigration but i really want my wife to give birth in san Diego ca i was told it wont affect but wanted to really make sure.

It will be no problem. As long as you/she (or your insurance company) pay all the bills.

The only way that your aunt & uncle will have problems is if your wife tries to get free medical care through a 'means test' welfare-like program.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

The problem is that in unemployed i'll be working next week but wont get insurance

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Yes, that is a problem. Talk to your aunt & uncle about borrowing money for the hospital/medical expenses.

Lisa Ellen Seifert

Lisa Ellen Seifert

I would add that the affidavit of support is like an insurance policy, to make sure the government does not provide free care to a sponsored alien (your wife).. If your wife receives care, the hospital will send you a bill. She does not qualify for free care, since you sponsored her. If you don't pay, your aunt and uncle will be asked to pay. The hospital can sue you or your aunt and uncle if they are not paid. If your wife gets any "public benefits", then the government can do the same thing.

I agree with my colleague. Your aunt and uncle will be charged only if your wife applies for and receives some means tested benefit such as welfare or some State poverty benefits.

I agree with my colleagues.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@emsylaw.com; 503-227-0965. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.