Skip to main content

My wife is in Ecuador and we want to get a divorce with out me having to go out of the country is that possible?

Stamford, CT |

we have a 3year old son which i would want to have sharing custody for and try to bring him to NY to visit during summer vacations

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Child custody
Attorney answers 2


It depends on a number of factors, but mostly, you need to find out if the U.S. has jurisdiction to determine custody and visitation of your son.

Providing answers to questions on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship. It is not possible to provide legal advice in the context of question and answers on the internet. The "answers" posted are solely for the purpose of providing general information about legal matters. Consult an attorney licensed to practice in your state or jurisdiction before taking any action. Be advised that what you post on AVVO is not confidential and in a civil law suit may be discoverable.


I recommend speaking to Attorney Silva who is down your way. If you are a resident of Connecticut, there may be jurisdiction here.

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.