Skip to main content

My wife has filed in california only lived there 6 weeks

Gresham, OR |

My wife left me and took my 5 month old to california. she has served me papers which she lied on stating she has lived in california for 6 months. how do i get the case transfered up to oregon?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You're going to have to file a response in California. You can argue in the response that Oregon should assert jurisdiction. Your best bet would be to consult with an attorney who practices in both states. You can call the Oregon State Bar for a referral at 503-684-3763. As for a domestic relations attorney or firm licensed in both OR and CA. The call is free and the attorney will charge you no more than $35 for an initial consultation.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


You asked this question more than a week ago. Are you re-asking it because you did not like any of the answers? You need an experienced Oregon attorney who also has a license in CA. Call the Oregon State Bar for a referral.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer