Skip to main content

My wife has a green card and I am a US citizen. We live in Chesapeake, VA. Can I claim my stepdaughter as a dependent?

Chesapeake, VA |

My stepdaughter has lived with us in the US for 4 years now. She has not yet filed her paperwork for a greencard and I guess would be considered "undocumented". We intend to do this shortly but I want to know if I can claim her as a dependent on my income taxes. My wife and I file jointly and I am the sole source of income.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Not immigration will question. This is best asked of a certified public accountant or tax attorney.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Whether you can is not an immigration law question.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Ultimately, this is a tax issue and it would be best to consult with a tax attorney or CPA.