Skip to main content

My wife filed for temporary custody in Georgia on Jan 28, 2013.

Aurora, CO |

It's now February 17, and she has yet made an attempt to pick him up! I'm active duty military and received the papers the same day the emergency hearing took place! He was being watched by his grandparents for four months without me knowing until I found out by her brother. I consulted with an attorney about the situation but this just adds on to be unsuitable to care for our child. She lives with her sister in Georgia and haven't established jurisdiction in that county! What other steps can I take to fight for custody and prove that I ( father) is fully capable of being the primary custodian?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You don't indicate where the child lives. If the proper jurisdiction is in Georgia, then you should consult with a Georgia attorney. If the child has not lived in Georgia, you may want to file a cusotdy case in the state where the child has been living. All the steps you can take involve participating in the court case and the best thing you can do is to retain counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction to address the custody of your son.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Mr. Harkess is dead on with his analysis.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service!


In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Absolutely hire an attorney today! Interstate parenting issues are complex, and if the Georgia court rules, it will become even more difficult.