Skip to main content

My wife applying the divorce, when my status is gonna be changed in U.S?

Fort Worth, TX |

I have Conditional green card and my wife is willing apply for Divorce,when my Immigrant status have been changed??
I mean when she Applys or when the final decision from the court is going to change my immigrant status

we are married in California State

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to remove the condition. If you guys are separated you can do it only after the divorce is final, provided the marriage was a real one.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:



I mean when i'll be illegal???


If you have a conditional green card, you have to file a Form I-751 two years after receiving the conditional card in order to receive a permanent card. Usually, the Form I-751 is jointly filed by both the husband and the wife. If, however, you and your wife are going to divorce, this becomes much more complicated. You need to see an immigration attorney to discuss your particular case, and the best way to proceed. I have seen many people who did the I-751 process incorrectly end up in deportation proceedings in Immigration Court. You want to make sure that you file the I-751 correctly in the first instance so that this does not happen.

This post is intended as general information only. No information contained in this post should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information presented in this post does not form an attorney/client relationship. You should consult an attorney directly for your individual legal needs.