Skip to main content

My vacation condo burned down i have no insurance on my condo itself but the complex has insurance but the insurance is

Brooklyn, NY |

declining to rebuild/payout. my complex is suing i wanted to know can i claim this on my taxes as a loss since its gone theres no structure or do i have to wait till the litigation is over. i wanted to know because if i calim it on my taxes i would get a increase on my return.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Talk to a CPA.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


This is really a question for your accountant.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.


I agree with my colleagues. This is an issue for your tax professional.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


If you do not have a CPA, you may want to consider contacting IRS directly.