Skip to main content

My tenant says she sent in her rent in form of money order, which i never received. she wants me to sign a declaration

Monterey, CA |

the declaration states that she sent it a certain day( which i donnt know if she did) and that i have not cashed it yet

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


All you can declare is what you know for a fact is true. In this case, you can declare that you have not received the money order (and, obviously, that you have not cashed it.) Do not declare anything about what your tenant did or did not do - you have no way of knowing that.

This answer is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney -client relationship is created herby. Every circumstance is unique - consult a qualified attorney for advice if needed.


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I agree with my colleague; do not sign any declaration that is not true or for matters that are not withing your personal knowledge. Why is the tenant seeking such a declaration from you? Are you in the process of evicting the tenant? The tenant should report the money order as lost and try to obtain a refund.