Skip to main content

My tem years green card has not arived yet, has been 9 months since I've applied. Can I aplly for US, Citenzenship?

Kissimmee, FL |

I spend several months out site of USA, but never more than 6 months. can u please tell me how this time affect my process? I read I need to have 18 months of 36 months (half) to be able to apply...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to tell us more.

Did you and your spouse file an I-751 9 months ago?

Although technically you 'could' file an N-400 now ... it isn't a good idea ... especially if you're spending substantial periods of time out of the US.

Meet with an attorney for proper, personal, guidance.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You can file for naturalization. This will also force the USCIS to make a decision on your pending I-751.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with Attorney Shusterman.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


If you are married to and residing with a US citizen spouse you may be eligible to file if you are physically present in the US for 1/2 plus 1 day of the three year period. You may submit the application 90 days prior to 3 years as a permanent resident.