My surgery which led to all my existing problems was 12/06. I have an appointment with this same dr. on 10/23/13.

Jeanerette, LA |

Will this upcoming appointment do anything to cancel the statute of limitations? He performed lumbar fusion surgery on me and I can't walk anymore. 2 other renown neurosurgeons have looked at my MRI after the surgery and both said they were unable to help me. Both contributed my ongoing problems to a debilitating condition called "Flatback Syndrome". This is a progressive condition which a person is born with or due to poor surgical techniques. All of the indications of Flatback Syndrome have occurred since 2006. I had to have a hip replacement in 2010, as well as cervical surgery which was an attempt to stop "Dead Arms Syndrome". My bladder is now unable to void completely and I have recurring bladder infections. I'm preparing now for another hip replacement surgery. All due FB!

Best Answer

Some states extend the limitations period for continuous treatment of complaints for the same condition or problem. Consult with a local experienced medical malpractice attorney to see if your facts would qualify.

As I've mentioned previously, there is not 1 attorney in the Yellow Pages in South LA that even wants to pursue this any further. This experience has destroyed my faith in attorneys and the legal system, because in a few years I'll be in a nursing home and this doctor will still be victimizing innocent people. The number of people he's killed and crippled is already astounding, yet our judicial system protects him and he knows it! Not 1 attorney was interested in my case because it sounded like too much work or some of the attorneys I spoke to were friends with the infamous "Dr. Cenac, otherwise known as the butcher". I wonder if they'd allow their good old buddy to perform surgery on one of their loved ones.

Not sure why you waited so long, but you can have a local malpractice lawyer see if there are any applicable exceptions to the SOL as long as there is no SOR.

I don't want to appear uneducated because I graduated from college with a 4.0 GPA. What does SOL and SOR indicate? Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

From what you've described your case against the doctor for the 2006 surgery has prescribed (Louisiana's word for statute of limitations running). In Louisiana you have one year from the time you're made aware that malpractice may have occurred but in no event can the suit be filed more than three years after the malpractice event. The fact that other doctors are telling you your problems relate back to 2006 suggest its too late to file. Nonetheless you should still consider setting up a face to face consultation with a malpractice attorney and bring all of the medical record/operative reports you can.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.

I can't find an attorney that is willing to listen to my situation. It makes me feel as though they just want cases handed to them that are not very much work, but great pay! In 5 years, I'll be in a wheel chair and possible unable to even raise my neck to see others or even watch TV. Yet this doctor is allowed and protected as he continues to victimize one innocent person after another.