Skip to main content

My ss card says valid for work only with dhs authirization

San Antonio, TX |

I am Mexican living in Mexico, but have an American passport that expired 4 months ago and a ss card that says "valid for work only with dhs authorization". How can I renew my passport and go to America to work legally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Based on your post you are an American of Mexican descent who lives in his country of origin for now; If I understood you correctly, you can go to the US embassy and get your passport renewed; You SS has nothing to do with it; Once here, pay a visit to Social Security Administration and change your SS number - it will stay the same but will eliminate the annotation you hate so much

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


By applying for a new passport at the US Embassy/Consulate nearest you.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Go to the US consulate in Mexico. Call them first to see what you need bring. Maybe you can do the whole operation without physically appearing there.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog: